Carol Stream Historical Society                 Carol Stream Illinois USA

Home
About Us
History
Upcoming Events
Membership
Board
Displays
Memory Book
Photos/Past Events
"Something Old"
Links
Contact Us

 
 
 
 
Timeline of Carol Stream

1818  ~  Illinois becomes the 21st state. No white settlers in DuPage County
1839  ~  Organization of DuPage County after it breaks away from Cook County.
1842 ~ Daniel Kelly of Vermont builds a home for his bride in what is now Carol Stream.
1846 ~ A home, "Tall Trees" was built at Main Place and St. Charles Road. (currently the oldest house in Carol Stream)
1852  ~  St. Stephen's Catholic mission church is organized
1853  ~  Fair Oaks Road and Army Trail Road is known as Wayne Center with a broom factory, a blacksmith shop, a store/post office and a country church (previously known as Gimletville and Orangeville)
1930  ~  Electricity arrives at the Kuhn farm home on Kuhn Road
1952 ~ NBC-TV's "Down on the Farm" program, hosted by Wilbert Landmeier and starring Eddie Albert was filmed in Carol Stream.
1957  ~  Carol, daughter of Jay Stream, is seriously injured in a car accident August 26, 1957 and in a four-month coma.
1958  ~  "Carol Stream Estates" by Durable Construction offers affordable housing around $15,300. Jay Stream is the developer.
1959  ~  Carol Stream Woman's Club founded
1959  ~  Village Incorporated. First Village board meeting on February 12th.
1961  ~  Carol Stream Jaycees organized
1961  ~  St. Luke's Catholic Church opens its doors
1961  ~  1st Village newspaper, the Carol Stream Bulletin, was replaced by the Citizen in March.
1962  ~  The Carol Stream Public Library opens at 397 Blackhawk Drive on Sept 29th.
1963  ~  Carol Stream hires first full-time Police Officer.
1964  ~  The Carol Stream Park District is established.
1964  ~  Central DuPage Hospital opens in nearby Winfield.
1965  ~  Carl Bornholt and Elsie Johnson are first recipients of the Citizen of the Year awards.
1966  ~  The Carol Stream News brings local news to residents
1966  ~  Nina Jo Schmale of Carol Stream is one of the 8 student nurses killed by Richard Speck.
1967  ~  1st Village Administrator, Rudy Mikulich, is hired.
1972  ~  The Village is hit by one of the worst floods of the century in August.
1972  ~  The Carol Stream Fire Protection District is formed
1975  ~  Janice Gerzevske is first woman elected Village President.
1975  ~  Jay Stream School dedicated on El Paso
1976  ~  Fire Station #2 opens at Schmale and St. Charles Road.
1976  ~  Gretna Station Museum opens in a July 4th dedication
1978  ~  Michael Collins Pool is converted from an outdoor pool to an indoor pool
1980  ~  Greg Bielawski joins the Village as Village Manager
1981  ~  Stratford Square Mall opens in nearby Bloomingdale on what was part of the Tews farm.
1982  ~  Groundbreaking is held for the post office on St. Paul Boulevard.
1984  ~  The Carol Stream Association of Business and Industry is formed.
1987 ~ Ribbon cutting is held October 18th for Caboose No. 543 at the "museum plaza" at Armstrong Park.
1987  ~  St. Andrew United Methodist church has serious fire
1988  ~  The Village of Carol Stream achieves "Home Rule" status.
1990  ~  Mark Bodane hired as Fire Chief. Retired in 2007
1991  ~  Village of Carol Stream is re-certified as a 'Certified City.'
1992  ~  The Carol Stream Post Office opens a regional processing center at Schmale and Fullerton.
1995  ~  Fire Station #3 opens on Lies Road west of County Farm Road.
1996 ~ The Village acquires the Historic Farmhouse, then known as the Hartsing Farm. Original name is Stark Farm.
1998  ~  The Town Center is dedicated, later to be known as the Ross Ferraro Town Center
2003  ~  Rick Willing becomes new Chief of Police after retirement of John Numrich.
2006  ~  Founder of Carol Stream, Jay Stream, dies January 22
2007  ~  First shop opens in "Fountains at Town Center" - Feb. 20; Gossip Salon
2007  ~  Frank Saverino, Sr. elected Mayor
2007  ~  Mike Kanzia is new Fire Chief. Retires 2010.
2008  ~  Carol Stream suffers flooding after heavy rains from Tropical Storm
               Lowell, then tail-end of Hurricane Ike adds more rain. September 13.

2009  ~  The Village of Carol Stream, founded in 1959, celebrates 50 years.
2009  ~  Kevin Orr sworn in as Police Chief February 17, 2009
2010  ~  Rick Kolomay sworn in as Fire Chief January 6.
2010  ~  Longtime resident and local historian Jean Moore passes away.
2010  ~  Flooding occurs in  part of the original section of town July 24/25th
2011  ~  Money Magazine names Carol Stream #49 of the top 100 places to live

 


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Some of the above information taken from "Build Your Own Town...The Carol Stream Story" by Jean Moore.
 

 

The Carol Stream Historical Society • (630) 665-0686 •Email
 
 

2010 Carol Stream Historical Society